A mate and I put an MMDVM repeater up one Saturday. All licenced correctly and engineered by NZART. Repeater set at 15w, Rx 439.05MHz, Tx 434.05MHz.
I’ll repeat that, a repeater transmitting 434.05MHz at 15w, polling every minute.

On an unrelated note, and just for your interest, 433MHz LPD (like car remotes) operate from 433.050 MHz to 434.790 MHz @ 10mW. I’m sure some of you have figured out where this is going! If not, apparently a 15w transmitter will block out a 10mW on a nearby frequency. We blotted out remote central locking to all of the CBD.

I learnt this when I got a phone call from my mate on Wednesday. The local dealerships had done 4 years worth of battery replacements in 4 days. Jaycar (NZ & Aus version of RadioShack), SuperCheap Auto/Repco (Our version of O’Reilly’s) had sold out of remote batteries. The committee of the local radio club had media contacting them to try and get an interview with my mate (It helped the PR when I could say “I’ll pass on your details but we’re both currently involved in an active and rescue operation so his & may take a while.” We made international news and laid rather low.


“I am writing in response to your request for additional information for
block number 3 of the accident reporting form. I put ‘poor planning’ as the
cause of my accident. You said in your letter that I should explain more
fully and I trust the following detail will be sufficient.
I am an amateur radio operator and on the day of the accident, I was
working alone on the top section of my new 80 foot tower.

When I had completed my work, I discovered that I had, over the course of
several trips up the tower, brought up about 300 pounds of tools and spare
hardware. Rather than carry the now un-needed tools and material down by
hand, I decided to lower the items down in a small barrel by using a pulley
to the pole at the top of the tower. Securing the rope at ground level, I
went to the top of the tower and loaded the tools and material into the
barrel. Then I went back to the ground and untied the rope, holding it
tightly to ensure a slow descent of the 300 pounds of tools.

You will note in block number 11 of the accident reporting form that I
weigh only 155 pounds. Due to my surprise of being jerked off the ground so
suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope.
Needless to say, I proceeded at a rather rapid rate of speed up the side of
the tower. In the vicinity of the 40 foot level, I met the barrel coming
down. This explains my fractured skull and broken collarbone.
Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the
fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley.
Fortunately, by this time, I had regained my presence of mind and was able to
hold onto the rope in spite of my pain. At approximately the same time,
however, the tools hit the ground and the bottom fell out of the barrel. With
the tools spilled out, the barrel now weighed approximately 20 pounds (I refer
you again to my weight in block number 11).

As you might imagine, I began a rapid descent down the side of the tower. In
the vicinity of the 40 foot level, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts
for the two fractured ankles, and the lacerations of my legs and lower body.
The encounter with the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my injuries when I
fell onto the pile of tools and, fortunately, only three vertebrae were
cracked. I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay there on the tools, in
pain, unable to stand and watching the empty barrel 80 feet above me, I again
lost my presence of mind. I let go of the rope…

An old timer in my club back in Ohio told about one of hs first CW contacts. He let the other operator know he was fairly new, and every exchange after that the the guy sent “SO LID COPY?”
The new guy wasn’t so new that he didn’t know what a “lid” was, and he was getting a little annoyed at being called one. He was about to pull the plug on the contact when he realized the other op was just saying “solid copy?”

Last year I tried participating in a CW contest using Fldigi. The exchange was name and state. I had made about 18 contacts and FLDIGI was doing alright decoding most messages. For contact 19 I copied the call from the CQ message just fine, but I couldn’t get the exchange right. I couldn’t figure it out by ear and Fldigi couldn’t decode it. After about 4 or 5 “AGN?” I see the following print across the decode screen.

I got pissed off and sent 73 then shut off the radio. What asshole would call me a moron just because I was having trouble copying his CW? I decided to look him up on QRZ. His name was Ron. He was from Missouri.